Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My "buddy" and supervisor for this internship is a 25 year old girl, very nice and pleasant.

For weeks we had been talking about her trip to Sabah, where she was going to climb Mount Kinabalu with her parents and a friend.

They went for weekend training to FRIM to practice a little before the climb. We were a little worried if her parents were fit enough for the climb, but she always assured us her dad was the fittest among them.

So last Wednesday, she finally went on her well-deserved holiday after working so hard for so many months. Literally hard. She was only sleeping for 4-5 hours a day for I don't know how long. Last week itself, she worked till 5am in the morning, and came to work around 9am, and wouldn't go home even though our boss forced her to.

So I smsed her on Sunday to let her know I was taking Monday off, for fun. She replied hours later telling me she has extended her leave. I felt a little offended that she didn't tell me about her climb even though I asked.

So imagine my shock when I went back to work on Tuesday and was told that her dad passed away during the descent from the mountain on Friday. Heart complication.

I was speechless.

I smsed her to let her know that we'll be there for her always. She said thanks. I didn't know what else to say, so I can only silently hope that she will be tough.

She is now still on leave. I don't know when she is coming back. I heard she is really broken hearted.

I couldn't bear to think how a vacation could turn into the loss of a father, even though I know asking "why me" never gets one an answer.

So now, in the office or during lunch, whenever the team was making jokes or laughing, I couldn't help but feel a bit sad for her. Nobody would understand her family's sorrow. How is she going to laugh the same way she used to again?

I hope she knows that her dad died knowing his children are accomplished in their own ways.

I hope she will be tough.

And to the uncle whom I have never met before, I sincerely thank you for the kindness your daughter shows me. May you rest in peace.

2 comments:

Wan Ying Teoh said...

yeah, a very sad one... makes me sad too... I hope she gets over it soon...

Huiying said...

Destiny is really cruel and wu2 chang2...

Really makes you think about your priorities in life, sigh...at least they got to spend time together before her father departed.