Monday, July 7, 2008

And so Aso San embraces the God of Fire...


One week after arriving at Japan, the three of us decided we are running out of time to visit places. So the planning began. With Hui Ying as the only one who can communicate in Japanese, we sat at the counter talking with the lady for over an hour, and finally bought the package to Mount Aso (Aso San in Japanese) the day before the trip itself. Aso San is made up of 5 prominent peaks, and it contains the largest active volcano in Japan. Also accordingly, it has the largest caldera in the world. Cool, isn't it? We were going to see an ACTIVE volcano for ourselves!


So on July 5, 2008, Saturday, we set off from our dorm at 6am in the morning to catch our early train ride to VOLCANO~ It took about 2.5 hours to get there by train. Then another taxi ride to our hotel to find out from the front desk staff that the volcano peak cannot be seen because of the heavy mist. So we chilled out at the hotel area to wait till check in at 4pm.

As you can see, Aso is quite famous for its cows and horses. It has farm lands. And we saw at the market that lots of milk product and cheese products were being sold. Some of them were nice. Like the almond milk chocolate candy =)

And then we went back to the lobby to rest. I went to walk around to take pictures, and sat at one of the lobby seats when I got back. The other woman beside me was talking to me in Japanese, and I did not understand a single thing, so I said wakarimasen. Then she laughed. A while later, two kids returned, and I finally thought I understand what the lady was talking about. But she was all fine, and asked me to sit. I got up anyway and left, uttering "daijiobu" all the time.

A few minutes after my solitaire game, the two kids came up to me. They seemed to be interested in watching me play. So I gave the mouse to them. The small one was not shy at all, and started playing although he had no idea what the game was all about. The big one stood at the other side and looked at his small brother. So the small kid clicked and clicked, and turned to talk to me. I think he was asking me something, but I did not understand at all. There was nothing I can do but smile, or give him nods, or shake my head if I think he asked if "this is right". Then I started to tell him to "ichi, ni" with my fingers pointing at the card, and he got it! So I became a teacher to that two kids.

My rewards in the end? The kids ran and gave me some Japanese snacks when we finally got our room key. I kept saying "iie", but he said "okaasan sth", and the grandma kept signaling me to take them, so I took them =)


Our hotel was a special one. It's called Aso Farm Village. The hotel rooms are all shaped like hemisphere. And so all three of us, one after another, hit our heads on the wall accidentally.


After that, we went for our "huan yuan yu" (restoring bath?) excitedly. It was hot in the room with temperature set high for rejuvenating purposes, but it was an experience. We had to change into robes provided, then drink a cup of water before going in. Then we spread a towel on the floor and lied on it for about an hour, feeling our bodies getting hot and starting to sweat. Our faces were all red when we finally got out.


Then we went for our dinner!

It was a lot of food. 7 main dishes, plus one soup, one rice, and one dessert. However, I only finished two of them, and the rest was not "pleasant to my taste bud". It might be delicious to the many people, but I still prefer "cooked" food =p

Then we were finally on our way to the long awaited Onsen (hot spring). However, our hopes crumbled when we were not allowed to go into the hot spring with a big towel to wrap ourselves. We couldn't stand being naked in front of everybody, (you are only allowed one small small small towel when you go in) so the whole Onsen trip ended after we saw many naked people and a few indoor hot springs. Well... I still think it was worth it. Now I know what onsen is like.. (picture taking is not allowed in the room, so... hahaha.)



After watching some Japanese game show on TV in the room and our failed attempt to get free ice cream because the shop was closed, we went to bed. (The next morning I realized on the coupon that adult could only get free vinegar, while kid can choose either free vinegar or ice cream...)

And the next day, July 6, 2008 (Sunday), we finally get to see the volcano! The ride up the peak was filled with beautiful sceneries. And the peak itself was breathtaking.



We then took the cable car down, and walked to the Volcano Museum. It was a fun walk I think, because of all the beautiful mountains and blue sky and white clouds. The museum was a small one, and we also visited another musical box museum. We saw different kinds of music boxes, and they make beautiful music.


Isn't that Totoro music box cute?

And what's more? I finally got to eat ice cream! I think Aso San is famous for its ice cream as well, because almost every shop sell them. And my ice cream was delicious. It's different from the normal ice cream. It's made of the milk of Aso cows. Haha..

Besides, before museum and ice cream, we also walked to the two lakes that lay side by side, formed because of volcano eruption but I don't know how. The place is called "cao qian li", or "thousand miles grass". I guess it's rightly named because there really was grass everywhere we looked. They have horse riding there too. But the most important thing was the scenic view. Just gorgeous.



Then it was finally time to bid the beautiful mountain goodbye. We took the bus down to Aso Station. It was a surprise to meet five other ATW students on the bus =) Then we visited an old temple, and took some pictures. We even watched some old people playing a ball game near the temple, but we didn't know what it was =p

And we rested at a Japanese style rest room, and started discussing about our next trip while waiting for our train.

And then, we took the train, and headed for home.


I just love the view from the station. You have no idea how many times I had to take out my camera battery and put it back it again so that I could "revive" my camera for just one more shot. Just another one. Just one more.. Please just this one more...

Perhaps I won't have the chance to go back to Aso San again. But the beauty of it, I will remember.

And Keng Yang, this is specially just for you:


You are not the only one who can do Titanic you know.. Haha! =p

4 comments:

Cumulonimbus said...

wei mei chen!!!!!!

.......

nex time i go back ann arbor i'll do that with your stikku to "bao chou"...hahahaha

looks like u guys are having tonnes of fun in japan!!! take care of pei ying for me wor...since u did the titanic ady. lol!

Uma Devi Dasi said...

Wow lady, this was quite an experience. Really beautiful scenes, and I love all the ushis :) I'm sure you don't miss me, haha. I'll remember never to go to the hot springs - but I knew it would be like that already, cuz they show them in Naruto haha! Hesh but you musn't torture poor little kids like that manna. Oh by the way, if you can, it would be nice if you could bracket translations to some japanese words you use cuz I have to google them all and it really is a pain - merci :) PS: I love reading your blog!

auhc said...

cumulonimbus, i will "take very good care" of pei ying one.. =p

ushi ushi, learn japanese! and let's not forget chinese haha! i told them if ushi is here she wouldn't go in at all! haha!

auhc said...

cumulonimbus, i will "take very good care" of pei ying one.. =p

ushi ushi, learn japanese! and let's not forget chinese haha! i told them if ushi is here she wouldn't go in at all! haha!